In the Autumn 2016 issue of the Weald & Downland Magazine it is recorded that it is hoped to rebuild the Newdigate Bake House in 2017. It will be used to bake bread from flour ground at the restored Lurgashall Mill. See ‘Misc. Studies’ for further details.
This is a copy of a painting by Patrick Nasmyth (1787-1831) entitled ‘At Newdigate, Surrey’. This is the earliest illustration we have of Newdigate and is possibly a view looking north from the Surrey Oaks.
At 7.15 am the Rev. Dr. Martin Gilpin conducted a short service at Newdigate church to commemorate the start of the Battle of the Somme one hundred years ago. John Callcut described the effect upon the village and the six young Newdigate men who lost their lives in the great battle. At 7.30 a whistle was blown which signified the time when the troops emerged from their trenches.
Many years ago the Society was given an old and somewhat tatty album showing photographs of the early years of the Schermuly company when William Schermuly and his sons were demonstrating their revolutionary equipment to the Board of Trade, Members of Parliament and leading shipping companies. We have now downloaded these evocative pictures and they can be seen, together with a brief history, in the section headed Misc. Studies.
During the Second World War the factory employed over 1000 people but it closed in 1981 and today the site is now Becket Wood.