Woodcarving Class

In about 1902 Mrs Janson of Newdigate Place started a woodcarving class to ‘stop the boys from hanging around Mr. Dean’s shop window for the sake of the lighting.’ Their work reached a remarkably high standard, a lot of which can still be seen in the church. For comprehensive details see Jane Lilley’s book entitled ‘The Wood-Carvings of St. Peter’s Church, Newdigate’ under library section.

Two major projects were the carving of all the pew ends and the constructing and carving of the altar in the Cudworth Chapel which was dedicated to Henry Hackwood. Upon completion a velum covered book was prepared listing all the carvers and the symbolic meanings of the carvings.