The first bus service to Newdigate ran from Redhill (Market Place) to Newdigate (the Six Bells) via Reigate – Leigh – Parkgate. Beginning on the 26th March 1923, weekdays only and five journeys each way. Between the 24th March 1923 and the 8th July 1927 two double deck buses were stationed in the coal yard at Newdigate (now Inglenook Yard).
Route S26 in 1924 – Arthur Dennis is the driver and Chris Lucas the conductor
Both left at 8.05 am, one to Redhill and one to Ewhurst. These double decker buses caused much displeasure and a lady motorist (a rarity in 1923) was incensed enough to complainto the local paper about meeting huge and unwieldy double deck buses around the lanes of Newdigate. Reigate Council advised East Surrey that single deckers would be more suitable.
From the 4thJune 1927 the service went via Reigate (Station) to Duxhurst – Charlwood – Stanhill – Newdigate – Beare Green – Capel – Ockley – Ewhurst (the Bull). From the 8th July 1925 a service began from Dorking via Holmwood and Newdigate.
This postcard shows PH 8871 an AEC416A, Type B30R which came into service with the East Surrey Traction Co. Ltd. on the 7th May 1928. Fleet No. 203.
It is shown on route 29 which began to run on the 9th October 1929 from Newdigate to Dorking (the White Horse) via Brockham.
This is a London Transport NS-type bus at Brockham en route to Newdigate in 1935.